Monday, August 8, 2011

sounds of the inner city...

We've been here for a few days and thus far I'm enjoying myself. I'm still feeling nervous but that will subside once I become familiar with my surroundings. I think every now and then I feel like I'm back in Reno but then I hear people around me talk and all I hear are thick east coast accents... a reminder I'm no longer in Kansas...

Here's some pics of our new place. Those of you who saw our old place in Reno are going to laugh because it's shockingly similar to it...




That's the living room area...



Our bedroom...


Looking out from bedroom to the hallway...



Kitchen...



The crapper...


This doesn't work but adds a touch of the 1930s to the place


Cory blowing up our makeshift bed until we get a real one.

So the first night in the apartment was kind of difficult for me. We heard siren after siren after siren... ALL night. Keep in mind it was a Saturday night... then at 3:15 AM we were awoken by a car crash right outside our window which then brought a fire engine and multiple cops. Our room was lit up with the red of the lights for about a 1/2 hour. Afterwards I had a hard time falling back asleep. I was imagining some ghetto kid breaking into our apartment or some drive by right outside. I could have sworn I heard gunshots. Ha ha ha ha ha.... but then as morning came things were renewed and I realized I was being paranoid, naive, and overreactive with the dark of the night. I think being in a new place has made all my senses heightened. God I'm a nut case... 

The weather has been nice and but skin hasn't looked better! It's got a constance glow... but yesterday there was a torrential downpour...


This is what we woke up to and we drove 30 minutes north to MA to go to IKEA... It was raining so hard that it felt like a white out in a blizzard but it was rain... at IKEA we got quite a bit of furniture but it didn't really occur to us we only had a civic to transport the furniture home. Since it was raining so badly we didn't want to have it hang out of the trunk or anything... it made my trip home quite delightful. I was smashed sitting sideways in the passenger seat with my rib cage pinched between a bookcase and the center console. Ha ha ha ha... but we made it and the place is starting to feel like home. Last night we went out and had a good time. People were nice and I can't wait till we make friends here. I'm excited to see what happens in the next few months with our lives. So today is a state holiday in Rhode Island. It's called Victory Day... you should read up on it. I'm not a fan of the meaning behind the holiday... but it is a day off work for most people Anyhow, I think we are doing really well considering the drastic change we made. Stay tuned for further remarks on my life... peace out! 











No comments:

Post a Comment