Monday, August 1, 2011

Day Nine...? I may have lost count

Port Huron, MI to Farmington, NY.... 291 miles... (via Canada)

So we made it through Canada and back into the US. We found out that there was no way for Cory to bring his handgun into Canada without the proper "paperwork" which the border patrol couldn't give us specifics on what that paperwork entailed. So long story short it was either go back down Michigan and through PA or sell the handgun and try to go through Canada. Cory chose the latter. Here are some pics between leaving Chicago and where we are now then I will continue with the story...


On last pic of Chicago... I'm pretty sure we're going to go back but we will fly... driving was a bit too intense...


No fun to drive through (because of my antics from the night before) and the tolls were outrageous... 


Extremely muggy...


From the Bridge to Canada... that's Lake Huron and it looks like a damn ocean... 


First sign we saw after being questioned by Canadian border patrol... I felt so nervous even though we had nothing to hide...


An ambulance in Canada... we thought of Tyler...


The road was EXTREMELY straight


First sign we saw when re-entering the US... kind of exciting to be back in our own land. The only thing I have to show for being in Canada is a $5 Canadian bill... no clue what I will do with it...


Creepy bridge at our KOA tonight... 


Looking at an orb spider on the bridge trying not to freak out with all the bugs flying around me... ewww


So last night we stayed at a KOA in Port Huron which turned out to be the largest KOA Kampground we've stayed at... it was like being at Disneyland. We got to play putt-putt which was fun... I started out playing extremely well and finished with probably an average of 4 per hole... ha ha ha ha... I blame it on the fact that I was sweating my life away. It wasn't so much as hot as it was more or less like sitting in a sauna... I did, for sure, sweat out loads of toxins and my skin hasn't looked better. The KOA was party central and people were partying into the wee hours of the night... I heard an owl for the first time... now I understand why they are sometimes seen as bad omens in certain Native American cultures... Driving through Canada was interesting...  we were quite nervous that we'd have to get the car searched and when they just let us through the border we were stoked on not having to empty out the entirety of our lives contained in the back seat and trunk... so we went the speed limit which was 100/kmh... equal to roughly 60mph.... When we popped into the US via Niagara Falls I was happy but ready to get the hell out of the car. We still had 85 miles to go to our KOA... we are staying in NY near the Finger Lakes and it's beautiful I don't think I've ever heard so many nocturnal creatures in my life... I'm praying I don't need to pee in the middle of the night... 

We went to a sports bar for dinner and all of the music on the jukebox was country. On any other given day I would be annoyed with country... but there was something comforting about hearing the country music and it made me think of home... weird I know.... I miss everyone already but I'm proud that we've decided to go out on our own and see what we can make of our lives... I'm thinking we will end up back west at some point... I'm pretty sure Wyoming is still my favorite state we've gone though thus far... so who knows... maybe we will ultimately end up in Cheyenne. 

Okay here's a map of our travels... 


Peace out! I hope you all enjoy this blog even though it's discombobulated (spelling?) and there's a lack of cohesiveness especially in the titles of each day's blog... oh well! 












No comments:

Post a Comment